Table of Contents
- 1 Installation Process - Openfiler as Shared Storage in Virtual Machine.
- 1.0.1 What is an Openfiler?
- 1.0.2 Key Benefits of Openfiler: –
- 1.0.3 Hardware Requirement: –
- 1.0.4 Please watch the below Video of Step by Step Installation Process of Openfiler as Shared Storage in VMware Machine.
In this article, you will get to know the Step by Step Installation Process for Openfiler as Shared Storage in Virtual Machine.
SAN Machine installation for openfiler is the first step towards RAC installation because we are going to use openfiler software as our shared storage for RAC configuration setup in further articles.
What is an Openfiler?
Openfiler is a shared storage usage platform through which we can add multiple nodes that can share the same storage with the help of an openfiler.
In this series, we are going to create 2 nodes RAC databases, for that we need shared storage so that both nodes can be in sync with each other, to make that configuration we will use this software.
Click here to download the Openfiler ISO image file.
Key Benefits of Openfiler: –
- It provides the facility of the Bare metal and Virtualization installation.
- It provides the facility of ACL (Access Control list).
- It has HTTP, NFS, CIFS protocol support.
- It also support the multiple raid levels like Raid 0,1,5 etc.
- It provides the facility of storage like SAN (Storage Area Network) and NAS (Network Attached Storage).
Below are some Hardware requirement which is required to proceed further with the installation part.
Hardware Requirement: –
- At least 500MHz CPU.
- Minimum 256MB of RAM.
- 10GB hard disk space.
- An Optical Drive is used for OS installation.
- An Ethernet network interface card.
We can use this SAN storage in 10g, 11g and above, the steps remain the same for the Installation of SAN storage. In this article, I am going to use SAN storage so that all the nodes can access the shared storage which is placed in a centralized location.
Before installation of the openfiler software, we need to create a virtual machine so that we can install the openfiler software on it.
Step 2) Now click on the “Next” button to proceed further.
Step 3) Select the language as “US English”.
Step 4) Under the partitioning tab select the “Custom Layout” option.
Step 5) Now we need to create the below mount points. We will give approx 2GB to all the mount points.
- / = 2GB
- usr = This is one of the most important directories in the system as it contains all the user binaries, their documentation, libraries, header files, etc.
- tmp = Here all the temporary operation are performed like sorting, conversion of hash values etc.
- var = var is used to gather all the alert logs.
- swap = swap it is used as a alternate of the memory and it will take double the size of the allocated ram.
Step 6) Now in this step we will choose “GRUB Boot” loader.
We don’t choose “EXTLINUX Boot” loader here because it is used when we have DISC or CD’s with us for the installation.
We choose “GRUB Boot” loader here because we have ISO image with us for the installation.
Step 7) Now click on “edit” option to setup the network configuration.
Step 8) Now put the “IP address” and “Subnet mask” under “Manual configuration” and disable the IPv6 support because we are not going to use that support we only use IPv4 support.
Step 9) Now choose your “host name“ and “domain name” and put the entry under the host name tab.
Step 10) Now select the timezone as “Asia/Calcutta”.
Step 11) Now choose the “root password” which help to administering the system.
Step 12) Now click on the “Next Button” to complete the setup, It will take around 5 minutes to complete the installation process.
Step 13) After completing the setup it will ask for reboot but before reboot will will create one more disk that will act as a shared storage in the RAC setup.
To create a disk need to follow below steps: –
1) Go to “VMware Machine setting”.
2) Click on “add option”, then click on “Add Hard Disk”.
3) Click on next and choose disk as “SCSI”.
4) Choose option “Create a new virtual disk”.
5) Give the “disk size” as per your requirement, I am giving 60 GB and choose option “Store virtual disk as a single file”.
6) Now click on “OK” and the press “reboot” button so it will reboot with the 2 disks after that we will configure the second disk when will do the RAC setup.
Step 14) Now our Installation process of Openfiler as shared storage has been completed and you will get below output with the “Web administration GUI IP”.
In our next article we will see the Step by Step Configuration Process of Openfiler as Shared Storage.
Hope this article will help you!!
If this article is useful for you please comment, share with your friends.
In case of any issues please send your query in below comment section.
For more articles please do visit below links: –